Billy Kwong

Add: 355 Crown Street, Surrey Hills, Sydney
Tel: +61 2 9332 3300
Website: http://www.kyliekwong.org/BillyKwongs.aspx


This is my favourite meal in Sydney! And I'm really glad that the food was very good indeed, else I would be grumbling about it for the rest of the week. We had to wait for 2 long hours (hungry and cold!) before we could get our table. The restaurant is very small and squeezy; the tables are tiny; and the stools are uncomfortable! Despite all these negative factors, I still rate this as my favourite meal in Sydney!!


 
Freshly-Made Flat Egg Noodles, Shredded Chicken, Organic Warrigal Greens, Nasturtiums, Lebanese Cress & Chilli
 
Notice how small the table (for 4 pax) is?! Only one dish can be placed in the center of the table!

The noodles had the perfect bite, nice and springy. Though we didn't expect it, this turned out to be a starter / appertiser dish that was very refreshing and bursting with flavours!
 
 

 
Crispy-Skin Pasture-Fed Duck with Orange Sauce

This is Chef Kylie Kwong's signature dish, and it truely didn't disappoint. The meat was tender with a crispy exterior. The sauce was very bold in flavours but not over-powering. I ordered a portion for takeaway, and it still tasted wonderful the following day.



 
Red-Braised, Caramelised Black Berkshire Pork Belly with Malfroy's Organic Yellow Box Honeycomb, Organic Fish Sauce, Organic Lemon Aspen & Sichuan Pepper
 
 
The honeycomb (to be mixed in) was a pleasant surprise which had paired well with the citrusy flavour from the lemon. The well-roasted pork belly had the perfect balance of fat vs meat (but I may be biased since I do have a soft spot for fatty cuts).

 



Stir-Fried Organic Old Man Salt Bush Leaves with Young Ginger

Simple and uncomplicated... local greens at its best! (My only criticism would be that it was slightly too saltish.)



Note: The restaurant does not cater to takeaway orders normally, but they do allow their customers to order extras for takeaway after dining in.


Having been to so many great Chinese restaurants (in China, Singapore and London), I really didn't expect myself to be blown away by a restaurant selling Chinese food in Sydney. Thank you, Chef Kylie Kwong, for changing my perspective  :)

Comments