Gourmet San

Add: 261 Bethnal Green Road, London E2 6AH
Tel: 020 7729 8388

The secret is out... on National Papers :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/07/restaurants.foodanddrink

Sigh, this place is already very crowded... it really doesn't need the extra publicity. No wonder there was such a long queue when I went there two weeks back (and with an unusually high no. of non-asian customers too!).

The food there is sooo authentic (I would know since I had worked in China for 2 yrs!!!). I haven't found anything close to this standard ever since I left China (not even in Singapore). Took Cathy (from Beijing) there once and she agrees it's really as good as the real thing at home!

Note: Authentic Chinese cooking which you would get in most restaurants in China is typically oily, salty and very strongly flavoured with seasonings and spices. Thus, might not suit some people's palate.

Authenticity aside, the servings are huge and really cheap compared to other Chinese restaurants in London which aren't half as tasty. My favourite dish is the lamb skewers (Mongolian style, spiced with cumin). I had once seen a couple there who ordered 20 of the skewers for dinner! £1 for each skewer (and it's huge!)... amazing.

Shan't describe more. The article says it all :)

PS: Just got back from their new outlet near Liverpool Street Station. Disappointing... stick to the original store!

Comments

YG said…
why is there still no photos yet?
=(
siewhui said…
I gobbled up the food too quickly!