Tom Aikens

Add: 43 Elystan Street, London SW3 3NT
Tel: 020 7584 2003
Website: http://www.tomaikens.co.uk/

A word of advice: skip breakfast and lunch if you are planning to have dinner at Tom Aikens! I could barely walk out of the restaurant after. It was unfortunate that dinner had to be on a Monday (to match Toni's schedule)... even though we got there early at 7pm, dinner lasted a good 3.5 hours! And because I was so stuffed with food, I couldn't get to sleep till 2am. Was feeling miserable at work the next day... BUT it was all worth it :)

I wasn't expecting much from the restaurant initially after reading some negative points on the chef on Wikipedia. However, he has definitely met my expectation and gone way beyond. Had the honour to see him in person as we were leaving the restaurant. Looks cute and amazingly young for his accomplishment! We ordered from the Ala Carte menu (3 courses at £65) and we were served with 4 complimentary in-between courses (almost like a tasting menu?!). Quantity aside, every course we had was excellent in taste and quality.

I was totally blown away by the grand finale. Imagine feeling very full and satisfied after the dessert course (and ready to leave), out came this spectacular presentation of petits fours which we certainly weren't expecting!!! I still can't believe that's complimentary... I think our server spent a good 5 mins just to explain what each item was... haha. Well, I had no choice but to order tea... :)


Tom Aiken's style is not simplicity... every course is a myriad of ingredients which aims to excite you in both visual and taste. There seems to be no main star in each course, but mini-courses within each course... perfect for those who like variety and tasting a little of everything!

To illustrate this better, my main course was Salt Marsh lamb cutlet with fig puree, sheep's cheese emulsion, black olive mash and confit fig (the lamb was done rare and very tender); and my dessert course was truffle pannacotta with white chocolate, black pepper truffle ice-cream and white chocolate mousse (surprisingly good pairing of truffle and ice-cream as it provided the perfect tinge of saltiness amid the usual sweetness in desserts). That's like 6 main items within the 2 courses!

I can't wait to go back and try out his other creations... on a Friday of course.

Comments