York & Albany

Add: 127 Parkway, London NW1 7PS
Tel: 020 7388 3344
Website: http://www.gordonramsay.com/yorkandalbany/

It was a nice walk from Camden Town station, though one might think that York & Albany doesn't welcome "strangers". Situated at a corner, there's nothing on the building which indicates the unit no. 127 nor the name of the restaurant. The only way to find out? Walk right in! Or in my case, called up my good friends to check if the yellow building was indeed the place since I was fashionably late again ;)

A nice bustling atmosphere greeted me as I walked past the quiet bar section into the main dining area. The quaint private courtyard area was in full view (and brought a lot of sunshine into the restaurant) which I imagine would be wonderful for outdoor dining during summer. Was surprised to see almost every table taken up at 2.30pm. I wonder if most people are used to late lunches on Sundays? I would be terribly hungry by then if not for my late breakfast.

Sunday lunch menu is priced at £15 for 3 courses (wow... guess that explains the crowd). I had the beef carpaccio with rocket and parmesan for starter while ST and Sherryn had the rigatoni with tomato and spicy sausage. Both were good (but would suggest the pasta if you are feeling hungry). Noticed majority of the diners had the pasta for starter!

For the main courses, Roast beef and lamb were on the menu since it's Sunday afterall! Sherryn ordered the roast lamb served with very well-roasted potatoes and a side dish of baked cauliflowers in cream sauce topped with cheese, and baby carrots and spinach (I love the sides!). The roast lamb itself was average though. Would try the roast beef next time as it looked good on our neighbour's table. The cornish pollock was a let-down so ST regretted her choice. I thought it had a "fishy" taste that was a little too strong for my liking. I enjoyed my main course of braised pork belly (hmmm I seem to order pork belly whenever it's available on the menu?!) that was served with black pudding and sauteed potatoes on a bed of nicely seasoned cooked cabbage cut into thin strips.

We ordered a selection of cheeses for dessert (supplement of £5) and all 4 types served were good (even for the blue cheese which I usually try to avoid)! Pity it doesn't come with crackers. Choux buns with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce would be a good choice for a light dessert, while Prune and Armagnac tart with clotted cream serves well for a heavier, sweet ending.

Overall, it was an enjoyable meal (over a good bottle of wine)... nice and relaxing way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon. My only complaint would be the slow service, but since we weren't rushing for time, it was forgivable :)

Comments