Spruce

Add: 320 Tanglin Road, Phoenix Park, Singapore
Tel: +65 6836 5528

It was tough deciding the labels for this post. Spruce can be described as chic / casual / rustic. It is a cafe / restaurant / bar / bakery. The chef aims to serve uncomplicated, simple fare in a relaxed, back-to-nature setting. That's Spruce... with potentially 100 labels!

Helmed by a well-known chef (from Wine Garage at Riverside Point) who co-owns the restaurant, Spruce has been running full-house operations not long after its opening in March this year. Those who are hoping for the hype and buzz to die down a little before making a visit might have a long while to wait!

Even though I was impressed with the food quality, I must say it felt kinda cramped when the restaurant was packed. The service staff didn't seem to be coping that well either during the peak periods (at least on my visit for brunch on a Saturday noon).

Signature Spruce burger

True to its name, I enjoyed the burger with its medium rare, top-grade beef patty (just the right "done-ness" and thickness in my opinion!). KC had polished off the chips on WL's plate. They were really good! Speaking of chips, YY was quite mad for a moment when the kitchen forgot her special request to replace the chips with salad! Thankfully, the server was quite prompt in getting the kitchen to "re-work" on the plate, but the salad looked so unappealing compared to the chips! Trust me, just stick to the chips...



Spruce' take on egg benedict, served on corn waffles

The poach eggs were perfect with soft, runny yolk. Excellent pairing with the warm and fluffy waffles with real corn bits! I couldn't remember tasting the corn bits but all my friends had verified their presence. Oops... I must have gobbled down the food a little too quickly... ha!


Note: Lovely, juicy sausage not included! That was my side order.

Full breakfast set

No complaints... according to KC. I got to try the sausage after I eyed on it so hard that KC had to offer me a tasting portion. It was better than the one I had! Scrambled egg looked moist and yummy, unlike those curdy and dry ones that you would get at some hotels' buffet breakfast. KC said the huge chunks of toasted bread were good too. Best option when you are feeling hungry and would like to have a bit of everything!




Spruce serves really good coffee and tea (Aussie label: Tea Drop). I was particularly impressed with the tea as I'm a tea-lover myself. After trying out various brands of English Breakfast Tea for the past many years, I really didn't expect that I would be taken by surprise!
Reservations are recommended (because you don't want to walk up the hill for nothing!)... though the restaurant does try to keep a few tables available for walk-in customers.

Comments