Yung Kee

Add: 32-40 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2522 1624

As far as anyone is concerned, Yung Kee (镛记) is THE place to go for roast goose in Hong Kong. It has indeed come a long way... from a humble stall more than half a century ago to the current renowned restaurant that occupies the whole building. Yung Kee was even rated with 1 Michelin star this year!

Despite having multiple floors of seatings (3 if I hadn't mistaken), we still had to queue for almost an hour when we got there! Granted, we went there during the peak lunch hour (i.e. 12-ish)...

At HKD$420 for a whole goose, it is certainly not cheap by asian standard. Verdict? Succulent meat with nicely roasted crispy skin which goes really well with the sweet & sour plum dipping sauce. Though I enjoyed this dish a lot, I still prefer the roast duck at Goldmine in London!







Century eggs. Another of their speciality item. It's popular for takeaway in a nice gift box. PS and I were 'caught' at SG customs for bringing the eggs in! Luckily we were given a verbal warning and allowed to keep the eggs, phew! Notice how soft and watery the yolk is and it retains the natural yellowish colour? It's a stark difference from the usual century eggs where the yolk would be of a solid texture (think hard boil egg) and light grey in colour.



Of notable mention is the pickled pink ginger slices on the side. Hmmm I'm not a fan of ginger so I don't particularly fancy it. PS, on the hand, had finished all the ginger on 2 plates (I swapped my ginger with her egg ha)! Well, she's not alone as my whole family likes it too, even my bro who usually doesn't like such pickled ginger slices.

The eggs do not come cheap either! A box of 6 with ginger slices would cost HKD$60. Now I just need to get my hands on the supplier contact for these eggs...

Comments