L'Avant-Gout

Add: 26 Rue Bobillot, 75013 Paris
Tel: +33 1 5380 2400
Website: http://www.lavantgout.com/

This quaint little restaurant is highly recommended by PS' boss (which he described as "as french as can be"!). It is very popular so reservation is a must. Upon reading his comments, ST promptly made a dinner reservation for the 3 of us. Alas, we got the dates mixed up and went there on a Sunday when the restaurant was not open for business. Undeterred by the small "glitch", we decided to try calling the next morning to see if we could get a table for lunch on the same day. And of course, we had our lucky star shining on us... :)


I can't recall what this starter was made of... but I was amazed to find the yolk so soft and runny while being encased in gelatine! Very interesting contrast in texture!


ST's starter. I didn't try it (or did I?) but she said it was good! It actually looks a little asian now that I'm looking at the photo...


PS' main course: their signature dish "pot au feu de cochon aux epices" which is pork stew served with a glass of spicy broth. Hmmm I wasn't very impressed with this dish but I like the idea of serving broth in a drinking glass.


ST's main course: "retour de Tokyo" which is a Japanese twist of the signature pork stew. Stick to the original...


My main course: Duck breast with duck liver, and potato cake on the side. I really like this dish a lot! It came as a surprise because I wasn't expecting the duck breast to be wrapped in filo pastry. The meat was well-seasoned and the duck liver in the center of the wrap (in some form of emulsion) provided an extra smoothness to the bite.

We didn't have time nor room for desserts. Next time perhaps... would be nice to enjoy dinner over a bottle of classic french red wine (they have a wine shop just across the street so I would imagine they serve good wines)... ending with a platter of french cheeses and crackers :)

Comments