El Gaucho

Add: 30B Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3DL
Tel: 020 7584 8999
Website: http://www.elgaucho.co.uk/

Not to be confused with another chain of restaurants "Gaucho" which also serves Argentine beef (ref: http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/). El Gaucho definitely has a more cosy and rustic feel while Gaucho has opted for a modern and stylish route.

Scott and I got there pretty early (before 7pm) so the restaurant was quite empty. However, customers were streaming in fast and it was almost full house within the next 30min! We ordered 2 starters to share: Chorizo Criollo (Criollo sausage) and Provoleta Asada (grilled Provolone cheese). I like the grilled cheese! A huge round disc of cheese (12cm in diameter?) grilled on both sides till it's slightly crispy on the outside with a melting soft interior. Got to eat it fast though... I was too slow (as usual) and it turned rock-hard after half hour :( The sausage is not bad but I prefer Spanish Chorizo (not to mention the overdose of meat with the huge steak coming up next).

The star of the night was certainly the beef! I ordered the rump steak which was surprisingly good! It didn't look very appertising in its lean and thin form served on a plain white plate. However, I definitely prefer the rib-eye steak which Scott had ordered. It was a thick slab of beef served on a sizzling hot plate... very tender and juicy (cooked perfectly to medium rare as requested). The waitress said fillet steak would be the best cut, but I didn't think the £10 extra was worth it. Well, might try it someday when I'm feeling generous!

Comments