Comptoir Gascon

Add: 63 Charterhouse Street, London EC1M 6HJ
Tel: 020 7608 0851
Website: http://www.comptoirgascon.com/

Walked past this place last week when Glen bought us dinner at Smiths of Smithfield (which by the way is a nice place and I want to go back soon!). It is beside the Smithfield Market... a really old but still active meat market with a dark history of being a bloody execution site long time ago. (Strangely, both Glen and Mark didn't know about the dark history. I had to check wikipedia for confirmation!)

Anyway, back to Comptoir Gascon. I mentioned this place to ST the next day and soon found myself back at the Smithfield area again within the same week! It has a traditional French menu, cosy ambience and wholesome good food. All the items are reasonably priced and served in generous portions. ST had the duck confit with potato gratin (£13.50) for her main course while I ordered the braised pork belly with celeriac mash (£11.50). The duck confit was good! It had just the right degree of softness and not too salty (which is a common failing point for confits). I like my braised pork belly too, though it was a tad too rich for me (too much fats!). I could only finish half the dish. The celeriac mash was a pleasant surprise! I never had that before... it has a refreshing mild taste of celery and a very light, smooth and creamy texture. We ordered a portion of homemade French fries on the side too. This is another of their popular dish where the coarsely-cut potato strips are fried in duck fat. Tasty! Would love to try their Piggy Treats next time. Saw many reviews online which recommended this dish (a selection of cold cuts).

Comments